Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Gemini Syndrome Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now
Profile for Eclecticism > Reviews

Browse

Eclecticism's Profile

Customer Reviews: 61

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Eclecticism RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Bach: Toccatas, BWV 910-916
Bach: Toccatas, BWV 910-916
Price: $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Bach and It's Gould. That's Fours Stars Right There, August 18, 2016
Okay, these are not the Partitas, the Inventions; they're not the Suites and surely not the WTC or the Goldbergs. You can see where JS Bach honed his technique on the Toccatas, seemingly biding his time while all the immortal music percolated for a while. And yet these Toccatas are completely satisfying in their own right, played in typically Gouldian style that you either love or hate. Count me in the former group.

I have to say that there is barely 91 minutes of music on this set. Sure wish Sony had thrown in the Italian Concerto or something as "filler." When you call something like the Italian "filler," you get an idea of just what a genius JS Bach was.

Bach: Cello Suites
Bach: Cello Suites
44 used & new from $0.63

5.0 out of 5 stars An Astounding Bargain, June 5, 2016
This review is from: Bach: Cello Suites (Audio CD)
Are you kidding? The complete Bach Cello Suites by Rostropovich for only $5.97? If you are at all tempted, jump on this NOW.

Having said that, I do agree with some of the above reviewers who note some intonation issues. But I say it doesn't matter. I return to this set over and over and all I can do is shake my head at the artistry of both Bach and Rostropovich.

Complete String Quartets 6 by F. Schubert (2005-05-03)
Complete String Quartets 6 by F. Schubert (2005-05-03)

5.0 out of 5 stars I Can See Why There Are No Reviews, May 28, 2016
At the price being asked -- $43.50! -- it's no wonder there are no reviews by verified buyers. And I'm not verified either; I bought this disc at the late Tower Records more than 10 years ago for less than $5. Anyway....

String Quartet No. 15 is the one featured prominently in Woody Allen's "Crimes and Misdemeanors." It is long, symphonic in scope, and it will make you appreciate Schubert's genius in yet another genre. Symphonies, lieder, piano sonatas, and now string quartets. This disc, like the others in the series by the Kodalys, is well played and in good digital sound. It is the perfect introduction to the Schubert quartets, when and if you can find it at a decent price. My advice: pass on this particular offer, look around and, if you can find it for under $15, grab it immediately. You won't regret it. As I type this, in late May 2016, there's one for sale on eBay at $10.76.

Bose SoundLink around-ear wireless headphones II Black
Bose SoundLink around-ear wireless headphones II Black
Price: $279.00
29 used & new from $190.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Many Drawbacks, January 3, 2016
The main problem I had with this unit was the controls. I found them simply impossible to distinguish by touch, so I was constantly fumbling between volume up, volume down, and pause. Not only that, but the groping around was very audible in the headphones. Infuriating. I also suffered dropouts in connectivity within 15 feet of my desktop, whereas the Beats I gave up on did not do that. When you throw in the fact that these are pretty pricey, my path was clear: Get something else. I will say that the sound was good. The unit paired easily, the manual is helpful, and the carrying case looks really nice.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 6, 2016 10:29 AM PST

Beats Studio Wireless Over-Ear Headphone - Gold
Beats Studio Wireless Over-Ear Headphone - Gold
Price: $209.99
3 used & new from $189.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Too Fragile., December 31, 2015
I just exchanged my second pair of Beats. Same problem both times: the lining came apart from the foam. Infuriating. Especially in light of the fact that I did not travel with them, did not walk around with them, and only used them while sitting down and in conjunction with my desktop; not harshly treated at all. Another issue I had was that the mini-USB charging cable had to find an extremely small sweet spot in order to charge. I also did not like how they fit, though I suppose that's a subjective problem that not everyone will have. And finally, there is a ridiculously small number of features compared to other models. Look elsewhere, you can do much better.

Debt: A Novel
Debt: A Novel
Price: $6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, Looking Forward to More, October 30, 2015
This review is from: Debt: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
Liked this a lot. Ms. Carey, if it is true that you should "write what you know," I hope that you have emerged from your college debt nightmare. I enjoyed the writing, humor, and pathos. I thought the plot got a bit too complex and I did have trouble keeping up with the many characters. No problem, a completely enjoyable book and I hope your relative quiet since then means that you are hard at work on another excellent book like "Debt."

Texas Jr. Brush
Texas Jr. Brush

5.0 out of 5 stars A Quality Product, September 11, 2015
This review is from: Texas Jr. Brush
Five stars for this sturdy brush for a gas grill. The long wooden handle keeps it from getting too hot above the grate. This is a big advantage over the shorter, plastic model that we bought at Wegman's and that has been consigned to the trash. The only downsides I see are that 1., It's rather heavy and a bit awkward; 2., We use one brush-face almost exclusively, rendering the other face almost useless. The other side is for the very occasional debris that the main face can't reach. But neither of these small drawbacks is enough to warrant the loss of a star. The combination high heat and the Texas Jr. Brush never fails to deliver a clean grill. This item was cheaper at Amazon than it was from the manufacturer's site.

Mahler: Symphony No. 9 (Chamber Version)
Mahler: Symphony No. 9 (Chamber Version)
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Less is More, June 7, 2015
Like the full version, not for casual listening. This reduction -- and I feel like I can compare, as I've heard reductions of Mahler 4, Das Lied von der Erde, and the Wayfarer songs, all multiple times -- is by far the most intense of similar efforts...and the most interesting as well. The solo playing by ensemble mini is stupendous, especially in the finale. I bought the mp3 version, not the disc. Nothing lacking in sound as far as I can tell, but headphones are a must to get the full effect. That and nearly 90 uninterrupted minutes so that there are no distractions because you'll want to pay full attention. There are many highlights, but I'll mention just one: the LSD nightmare -- oh okay, the cadenza-like passage -- at about 22:45 in the Adagio; some spectacular effects here by unexpected instruments.

Think you're familiar with the 9th? Try this one on for size. You'll come out of it with an even greater appreciation for Mahler's genius. Kudos to Klaus Simon for bringing an improbable reduction of this symphony to life, and to Joolz Gale and ensemble mini for realizing it.

The Iron Dream
The Iron Dream
Offered by Hachette Book Group
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars And Now for Something Completely Different, June 3, 2015
This review is from: The Iron Dream (Kindle Edition)
Okay, a full five stars for imagination, ditto for being thought provoking in how it draws you to think about how the actual events compare with what's happening in this meta-novel. Deduction of one star for the precise qualities that "Homer Whipple" discusses in his afterward. Though, it must be said, these bad qualities are just what Norman Spinrad was satirizing and criticizing.

So I guess the main reason I'm deducting a star is because I felt I needed a shower after almost every chapter. Not for the gore, but for the blatant, unrelenting racism (which, again, is what Spinrad is criticizing, not promoting). Recommended at this price. I did not read the Kindle edition so can't comment on the errors that others have noted.

Bach: The Complete Cantatas
Bach: The Complete Cantatas
11 used & new from $84.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Apologies for the "Incomplete" Review, April 4, 2015
If I waited until I finished this box, I would never write a review. So let me say, after 10 of the 70 discs, that this box of complete Bach Cantatas by Helmuth Rilling is the Classical Music Buy of the Century. The Eighteenth and the Twenty-first. Sound and performances are great. The modern orchestra does not, for me, impart any kind of lack of authenticity at all. Bach's resourcefulness and genius shine through on every cantata I've heard thus far, starting at BWV 1 and working my way up. Even the packaging of this box exceeds expectations.

There is probably not one perfect collection of the complete cantatas. With a corpus of work like this, how could there be? But if you are looking for a one-click purchase -- barely a dollar per disc! -- of some of the most immortal music ever composed, look no further.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7