Reviewed in the United States on May 3, 2000
"A Child Called It" is an unbelievable recount of one child's will to survive. In a home where the child, Dave Pelzer, was tortured and punished in unthinkable ways for no reason at all, he never gave up. Being starved, beaten and treated like a dog and forced to drink ammonia mixed with bleach were some of the nicer things his mother did to him. Living the life Dave did, he still became a successful, compassionate adult.
I think this is a wonderful, yet horrifying book. I can't imagine treating anyone like this. People actually do treat their children this way; its not just a story, it is real life. It is important that we remember that it is our job as a society to keep our eyes and hearts open to prevent these things from happening.
This book is written by Dave, and it is wonderful because it is viewed through the eyes of the child. In the child's view we are able to feel his heartache, pain, triumph, joy, and all of the emotions that he felt growing up. I could feel what he felt, see what he saw, hear what he heard, and taste what he tasted whenhe was thrown a month old leftover. I felt as if I was there experiencing it with him. This makes it easier to understand what he went through.I would recommend this book to anybody who wants to have a greater understanding of child abuse. Be prepared to read the whole book, because you wont be able to put it down. Don't forget the tissue; this book is a tear jerker.
0Comment Report abuse Permalink