Reviewed in the United States on January 12, 2019
I've been using the Echo dot and the Echo for about 3-weeks now. Everyone talks about the difference in the speakers and sound quality, so I'll leave that out of this review. What I want people to know is that the Echo is much better than the Echo Dot even though the Dot is 1/3 the price. I say this because the Echo Dot has a low-quality microphone. This is probably one of the ways they were able to reduce the price. Consider this:

1. Responsiveness: I have the Dot in my room and the Echo in the living room. More often than not, when I say "Alexa" the Echo in the living room will respond while the Dot does nothing. Because of this, I had to change the wake word for my Dot. There are also times where I have to repeatedly try to wake my Dot because it just doesn't hear me. On the other hand, the Echo can hear me while I'm in the bathroom with the door closed.

2. Understanding: A lot of times I'll clearly (and loudly) tell my Dot to do something, but it thinks I said something else. The Echo sometimes does this too, but the Dot does it much more frequently.

I like the Dot overall, but if I could go back in time I would buy another Echo on monthly payments instead. It's just not worth the frustration of having to repeatedly yell at this hockey puck to get it to do something.
19 people found this helpful