September 13, 2016
Buying this cookbook was a bit of a commitment for me as I am actually not a gluten-free eater. I am a dietitian, so I do appreciate the wheat-free aspect of it for improving the nutritional quality of the recipes. She uses all kinds of whole grain flours that are highly nutritious instead of gluten-free flour mixes that are available. I had to stock my pantry with several things that I don't normally keep on hand, but I did it and it has been worth the investment. I have a flour mill, so it made it easier to do this without spending a fortune, but it certainly is a more expensive way of baking and cooking. The most expensive ingredients used frequently are the hazelnut, chestnut, and almond meals. So far I've made the Mini Peach Clafoutis, ratatouille, chocolate walnut zucchini muffins, chocolate chip brown butter madeleines, vanilla and orange canneles, ginger and butternut squash soup, and apple clafoutis. Each recipe has been reliable, easy to follow, and delicious. I have high standards for recipes because I'm accustomed to using America Test Kitchen's cookbooks and recipes and they are very reliable. The only small problem I've run into is that the estimated yield on the canneles recipe was short and the yield on the madeleines recipe was more than stated. In both cases, not a problem with the recipe, I'll simply double the canneles next time to fill the pan. I've really enjoyed learning a new way of baking especially, and the quality, texture, and flavor of these wheat-free recipes has really impressed me. An added bonus is that the cookbook is truly the most beautiful I've ever seen. I read the entire book cover to cover and enjoyed the little stories she included as well. I couldn't recommend this cookbook more highly. Definitely for a more adventurous cook and baker due to the pantry items required, but worth the effort.
review image