August 11, 2013
I have always loved history, but I generally find history textbooks to be mind-numbingingly boring. As a high school student, reading a history textbook in the past has always seemed to be a daunting task as the authors seem to have taken all of the exciting, funny, shocking, and odd information out of them in an attempt to avoid upsetting anyone or challenging long-held beliefs, even if they turn out not to be wholly true. Eric Burnett's Our World's Story includes the information students need in order to do well on their exams, but he also imbeds a healthy dose of wit and humor along with little known facts that bring the events to life. He also makes connects between people, places, and events that makes the facts more meaningful. Even when assigned for homework, I often got lost in Mesopotamia or Ancient Egypt and read past the assigned pages. Our World's Story has proven to be an eye opening and thought provoking read that I recommend to everyone; whether you're a student, teacher, or someone who wants to become a little less ignorant about the world you live in and how we got here.
One person found this helpful
0Comment Report abuse Permalink