March 8, 2017
Had I known beforehand that this book was set in some sort of steampunk world, I probably would've taken a pass on it. I never found this genre to be particularly intriguing, and I still don't, but I'm glad I read it anyway.

Amunet was an original and gorgeously written story full of mysteries, secrets and twists, and it kept me guessing right up until the end.

Granted, it did take me some time getting used to: the unfamiliar world building (that had me very, very confused for a while until I figured out why a 19th century like London would have auto cabs and surveillance cameras), Amunet's aloof and haughty personality for the first half of the book, and not having a clue as to what was going on.
But, once I managed to let loose of my prejudices, the story and, to a great extent, Harkess' exceptional writing finally managed to suck me in.

One thing I never know if it's good or bad though, is ending up more intrigued by the secondary characters than by the leads, which is what happened here. Fox, Keene, Simmons, all those interesting, morally ambiguous characters you just never seem to be able to figure out.

So while not loving Amunet, I certainly enjoyed reading it, and I would recommend it to anyone who thinks the premise sounds appealing.
0Comment Report abuse Permalink