I always had a hard time deciding which of the two innovative 1993 albums from 242 was better. At first I prefered this album, but then I went back to liking the more laid back 'Up Evil' album better because of all the complex layers it had.
But despite, this album is the harder & stronger big brother of 'Up Evil'. The lyrics are loud & driving with distortion filters. I think 242 really paved the way on vocal filter innovation here.
I see this album as a MUST HAVE for any real industrial fan. While 242 isn't as commonly known as NIN because their lack of a Top40 hit, I would say 242's music is much more complex than NIN, if not always as catchy.
1. Animal (Cage) - great slow intro (I don't rate intros)
2. Animal (Gate) - 5 stars
3. Animal (Guide) - 4.5 stars
4. Modern Angel - 5 stars
5. Junkdrome - 5 stars
6. Serial Killers Don't Kill Their Girlfriend - 4.75 stars
7. Skin (Fur Coat) - 4 stars
8. GenEcide - 3.75 stars
9. Crushed - 5 stars
10. offEND - great soundscape (I only rate songs)
11. Animal (Zoo) - 4.5 stars
12. Serial Killers Don't Kill Their Boyfriend - 4.25 stars
13. Happiness (More Angels) - 4.75 stars
14. Crushed (Obsessed) - 4.75 stars
15. Melt (Angel) - 4 stars (sounds a touch like older 242)