Reviewed in the United States on September 30, 2011
I've been a runner for many years, and I simply can't eat before exercising. Because of this, I've come to rely on gels to keep me going during a long race. I've tried various flavors of just about every brand out there.

Over the past year or so I've been trying harder to eat more 'natural' foods. It's not an obsession, just substitutions where possible. I didn't think that energy gel was something I would be able to find in a natural form, but a friend pointed me to Honey Stingers.

Honey Stingers are about as close as you can get, honey with just a few necessary additives. Personally I love honey, so these taste amazing to me. I would take the 'gold' flavor over other energy gels anytime. The 'ginsing' was also tasty, though I can't really describe the exact flavor. I prefer the gold, though, because it doesn't have caffeine.

I found these to be easy to eat, only slightly thicker than GU gels. I chase with water, but I didn't necessarily need to. I didn't run into any problems with the honey crystallizing or anything else like that.

I highly recommend giving these a try, even if you're not looking for 'all natural.' If you like honey you'll love these, and they're only slightly more expensive than other gels (actually cheaper than some brands). Don't try something new on race day, but grab a few of these for a training run and you might end up hooked like me.
9 people found this helpful