Reviewed in the United States on April 20, 2019
MicroSD cards are a little odd in how versatile they are. You can use them with adapters in DSLRs or as secondary storage in a laptop with an SD slot. You can use them in phones, game systems, and other devices (dashcams, action cameras, security cameras). The versatility means that you can have dramatically different requirements from use case to use case, and that a specific MicroSD product may be good for one, but not another. What about the SanDisk Ultra 200GB microSDXC UHS-I card?

If I'm being completely honest, I wasn't in the market for a high-capacity MicroSD card. I was on a Kinja site and saw mention of a really good deal on these cards, so I bought a couple of them. I knew when I bought them that they are a tier or two down from SanDisk's Extreme Pro line, but I was going for value at capacity, not raw speed.

That's the rub, really... the cards are not fast. How slow are they? Though ATTO isn't the best tool for measuring MicroSD cards, I've still included a screen grab of the testing run. Writes max out around 50MB/s, and reads at around 80-ish MB/s. That's a far cry from the 100 MB/s write / 115 MB/s read that you'll get by spending more on a faster card, especially when you look at what happens to the speed of this item with SMALL random write and reads.

So, who is this for? Well, if you're looking for large storage to add to your phone or tablet, this is a good buy. It's also good for non-DSLR cameras of almost any type. What it's not as good for is to use as primary or secondary storage for a PC or laptop. It also wouldn't be a good choice for DSLRs, in my opinion. If performance is your primary need, you should look elsewhere, as there are faster choices. However, if you're ok with the speed penalty, this is a solid product, and I recommend it.
review image