August 25, 2017
This has ended my saga of trying to build cheap, fast, high-availability storage for my home network. I have several USB drives connected to a headless server, and I wanted to create a single point of backup for those individual devices, as well as system imaging (i.e.: Time Machine) and generally make all of my data accessible to any machine on the network. I tried various multi-drive RAID USB-attached storage solutions and none of them were working well in my Linux environment. Finally I just bit the bullet and went true NAS (over Ethernet) as opposed to trying to let my server handle it at USB3 speeds and every little finicky problem and annoyance I had has gone away. The setup was easy, once you learn the interface, and so far it has been up for every connection I've attempted to make to it. It doesn't slow to a crawl on long file transfer operations and average speed seems good (considering that most of the copy operations originate from USB2 devices). When copying directly from a PC to the EX2 instead of from another USB device, I've only ever broken into the high 50MB/s range, but that's still quite a bit better than the 25MB/s average I get when archiving from USB2 onto the EX2.
16 people found this helpful