Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon thechi thechi thechi  Echo Dot Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now

on May 11, 2016
I used this Copper Foil Tape to shield the cavity of my ESP Strat copy. The tape worked wonders for practically eliminating any hum, buzz, or other electrical interference that I was experiencing since purchasing my inexpensive ESP guitar. I was initially considering replacing the factory pickups, switch, and volume/tone pots due to the loud humming. I initially suspected that I had a grounding issue and disassembled the guitar in hopes of finding a flaw in the factory wiring. Nope - nothing was wrong with the wiring itself.

Having eliminated a potential bad wiring cause, I took the next logical step - eliminating EMI (electro magnetic interference) by shielding the cavity with this tape. The tape was easy to install and was not too thin like some other copper tape I have used in the past. The tape is also wider than most at 4" - this made the installation easier as I did not need to place as many parallel strips of tape as I have had to do with other narrower tapes.

Another seemingly minor - but significant feature of this tape is that it has 'conductive adhesive' This is necessary because you overlap the edges of the copper tape with another strip of copper tape in covering the entire cavity area. If the adhesive were not conductive, then each strip of tape would not make contact with the previous layer of tape - thus not making a complete Faraday Cage around your guitar electronics. I was able to confirm that the adhesive is in fact conductive through the use of a voltmeter/conductivity tester. I was able to confirm conductivity from one side of the cavity to the other - across the various strips of tape that were connected by the conductive adhesive. You must also ensure that the backside of your pickguard is also shielded with this tape in order to make a complete, single 'cage'.

A great product for shielding the electronics cavity of a guitar. I now have a completely silent guitar - I can turn the guitar volume up or down without introducing any hum, buzz, or other noise into my signal.
11 comment| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?