Reviewed in the United States on August 9, 2018
In my quest to cut the cable I've been through ChromeCasts, FireSticks and now the Roku Streaming Stick Plus. To be clear, I am still rocking the firestick on one TV, but in continued in depth usage while admitting it's a little apples and oranges (since streaming stick plus is for 4k and up, and firestick is pretty standard) I find more apps that I want to use on the roku, than I do the firestick. I think this is primarily because Amazon is trying to get you to buy more stuff (not that that's a bad thing) but their stuff is more or less front and center, and Roku doesn't care: You want Hulu and YouTube to always appear first? Great! Here you go!

I find the remote to be responsive and it's actually been a boon to our babysitters as the millennials are inherently more familiar and comfortable with app culture than they are with cable. So as long as we highlight what we have, we've had no complaints. And in pairing this with a mesh network like Google Wifi, it just screams. I've had absolutely no lag issues, and bonus, I've now got Sling TV on every Television in the house, no real cable box to speak of. So I think this is a really solid little device to the point where I can't see why anyone is still paying for cable (we're doing this 30 day experiment and then I'm never coming back; I'll drop my cable equipment on my ISP's doorstep like an unwanted child and they'll hear my tires as I scream away into the night (queue maniacal laughter)).

TL;DR: This is an awesome cord cutting option and a wirecutter top pick for forward compatibility. Got old people that just need the news and occasional movies? Get'em a roku and HD Antenna. Boom. Done.
136 people found this helpful