Reviewed in the United States on April 5, 2019
I've read all of J.R. Ward and really like her series, with a few exceptions. For this one, The Savior, I was happy with the basic story and glad to finally find out what she told us of Murdher's history and a resolution to his ongoing life. Murhder and Sarah will make a great pair and it's exciting to see this new evil (I have an inkling of where this new entity has come from). However, I have to say I was, overall, disappointed. Harken back to, say the first 5 or 6 novels in this series. This one does not come close. Although we get the facts of Murhder's history, we don't get the FEELING. What she has left out (in haste? boredom?) is the depth of the story. Let me give an example. Remember Z's story -- the detail, the pages and chapters it took to get it out of him -- it really took you with him on that journey. With Murhder we get a short synopsis of what the symphaths did to him, but no depth. I'm still not sure exactly what he went through and why it was so destructive to his very sanity. Another example -- the end summed up too quickly -- we had everybody happy without a whimper from anyone. Is everyone just getting so lovable and peaceable that there's no controversy anymore? No one to convince? I just think so much dialogue, arguments, back stories, flashbacks, were left out. Not like the initial books I grew to love and have reread several times. I might reread this once just to give a second chance, but after that. hmmph.
74 people found this helpful