Reviewed in the United States on October 19, 2017
Halloween is right around the corner and in spirit of the holiday I want to read some of the horror books I have been neglecting for years now. This book was at the top of my list. And on sale. Coincidence? I think so! I am so glad I read this one. It's creepy, bizarre, and mind boggling. The author leaves many questions in readers minds throughout the story and even at the end. Readers interpretation of the events is key in this novel, so I suggest keeping a very open mind when reading it- you'll enjoy it more if you do.

With that being said, this book is much more than I was expecting. Having thought I was just going to get a good scare was quickly replaced by the reality that this isn't what the book is about. Sure, there are scary moments, times when readers skin will crawl, and times when I felt as if I was going just as mad as some of the characters. But it is also deeply unsettling in a realistic way as it skillfully portrays mental illness and its effects on the family. Additionally, it depicts a family’s decent in a societal way and the effects it also has. Put all this together and you get a nearly brilliant novel that will chill you to the core.

I don’t want to say much more about the plot because the books summary does a nice job in its description but also because I think that to fully grasp what is happening in the story that you need to read it on your own without spoilers. I will say this though, there is a lot going on in this novel. Schizophrenia, depression, paranoia, depression, and susceptibility are integral parts of the novel. So are possession, demons, and exorcism. This book will make you nervous. It may make you look over your shoulder when you enter a dark room. And it will scare the crap out of you. Should you read it? I would recommend it...
42 people found this helpful