Reviewed in the United States on October 3, 2020
I found this book to be a poor man's version of "The Master Key System" by Charles F Haanel. It had its moments, and the basic message was positive, but there were a couple of spots where the author delves into mental illness, and those paragraphs completely turned me off. (Context: I personally struggle with depression and anxiety as does my grandmother.) Here's the quote: "Let's say, for example, that your story is that you're depressed. Chances are pretty good that even though it feels awful, when you feel awful you don't have to work as hard or do the laundry or go to the gym. It also feels very familiar and cozy and comfortable. It gets you attention. People come in and check on you and sometimes bring food. It gives you something to talk about. It allows you to not try too hard or move forward and face possible failure. It lets you drink beer for breakfast." ::INSERT MY BRAIN EXPLODING HERE:: I'm truly glad the author has never experienced depression herself or cared for anyone who has. (If she had, she'd never spout such idiocy.) I can assure you that when I am depressed I'm not lying in bed thinking, "YAY, I DON'T HAVE TO WORK HARD TODAY!" I'm literally hoping I can gather the energy to brush my teeth that day and feeling absolute shame and guilt about not being able to function as a "normal" human being. It sure doesn't feel "cozy." It feels humiliating and soul-crushing. I worry that the people around me are judging me for not being able to get through the day like they do. And I typically don't do much talking about it because I know there are plenty of ignorant people out there like this author who don't get it and will judge me for something I cannot control. So... hard pass on anything else from this author, and if you like the premise of this book, go read "The Master Key System" instead.
One person found this helpful
0Comment Report abuse Permalink