October 17, 2018
When I built my house six years ago, and I connected an accessory building with buried pvc pipe with CAT6A. On each side, I added one of these ProtectNets. I connected the ground wire to the house ground on each side. The ethernet connect my main router to a switch in the other building.

About a month ago, there was a bad thunderstorm (not unusual in Florida). I heard a pop.
The ProtectNet in the accessory building was fried, but the equipment was okay, but the connection slowed to a crawl until I removed the ProtectNet
The ProtectNet in the house was also fried, but 2 ports on the router died and the LAN port on my set top box was also fried. I ended up replacing all affected equipment... about $400.

Unanswered questions are...
(1) Do these simply wear out over time and need regular replacement?
(2) These need to be replaced after they are fried? How am I supposed to know they are fried? There's no indication when they need to be replaced?
(3) Input and output ports are obviously not interchangeable, but is the included JUMPER required, or can I use my own cable. The JUMPER is too short.
(4) Too much guess work. How do I know I've done everything perfectly after installation?

Due to so many unanswered questions and going off assumptions, and the fact that I have so much equipment loss, I cannot give this product a good rating.

In retrospect, I should have ran fiber between the buildings. For now, I've connected the two buildings with WDS.

UPDATE: I replaced the two that were burned out. When I got to speedtest, I test 150mbps with Powernet disconnect. I test at 14kbps while they are connected. What a joke!
6 people found this helpful