Reviewed in the United States on June 28, 2020
A family that slays together…

There’s a serial killer taking women from the streets. When Charlene meets a new waitress named Gertie, she learns that her cousin is just one of many. Gertie, desperate to know if her cousin is still alive or dead, has a plan to lure the serial killer to her. Worried for her safety, Charlene decides to go with her. From there, the girls lives descend into a twisted game of murder and despair.

Wow. Just wow. I don’t even know where to begin. This book had everything I could hope for in a creepy little read: a sadistic psychopath, a snarky kick-ass heroine, and a lot of dark humor. I absolutely loved Charlene. She was punk and fearless. One the best characters I’ve read in a long time. Her relationship with Gertie was both hilarious and believable. Gertie herself was a FOIL character to Charlene. She was quiet and calm though her plan to trap a serial killer wasn’t the best.

The serial killer, Ken, was his own kind of personality. The women he stole, he locked in cages, watching them slowly starve to death. Though the reason for this method of murder wasn’t explored in much depth, I thought it made him a unique killer from similar books in the genre. Not to mention his sense of dark humor.

I loved absolutely everything there was. My only qualm is that I wished this was longer. I picked up this book on Kindle Unlimited first but then bought the audiobook. Both formats are splendid, but the audiobook gives it that extra bit of awesomeness because the narrator absolutely nailed the characters.

If you love creepy books, dark books, or slasher fictions, I highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend this story.
Report abuse Permalink