Reviewed in the United States on September 21, 2018
I am a computer repair guy, been in the business since 1984. Paid antivirus on modern versions of Windows is a waste, and Norton is the worst among them. I just got done with a customer machine that took 12 minutes to boot. It turned out to be a Norton issue for which they wanted me to run their 'removal tool'. This tool takes an hour to run. Then Norton re-installed, which took another 30 minutes. After this, the customer's paid subscription no longer was recognized, Norton said it was in it's trial period. A Norton technician took control and again ran the 'removal tool' which took another hour. Then they reinstalled, and patched and updated Norton. It is now working, but I cannot charge the customer for 4 hours I worked on this. At my rate, that is 12 times the cost of this stupid product. I run Windows Defender on all my personal systems. It is free, updated often and quietly, and has never crashed a system. Most important to me, it does not bog down the system like Norton products do. Stay away from these. Anecdotally, I met Peter Norton back in the 80's. Nice guy but sadly has not been a part of the products that bear his name for many years.
88 people found this helpful