December 5, 2018
After using this NAS for over a month, I am very happy with everything so far. Reason for only four stars is because the software setup was not easy. I ordered the NAS and hard drives separately, and physically installing the drives was the easy part. Once the unit booted up, I had a hard time getting the drives to mount. I spent a long time looking at the support pages at WD without finding a simple solution. Finally, thanks to Google searches, YouTube, and online forum posts, I was able to get this thing up and running. In my opinion, this is not as simple as "plug-and-play" for most average users. Problem was having to go into the RAID settings in order to setup my NAS as JABOD, which is confusing. In any case, once everything was up and running, the unit as been working flawlessly. We are using it for TimeMachine backups from three different Mac computers, and as host for huge iTunes library and photo archive. Highly recommended if you want to backup multiple computers, or keep a your data secure on your own private cloud. Might seem a little expensive at first, but really this NAS is a great value when you compare it to the cost of paying $10/month or more for iCloud, Google or Dropbox. You control your own cloud device, and it has all the same features that the paid cloud services offer.
4 people found this helpful