Reviewed in the United States on July 17, 2018
Post Apocalyptic Nomadic Warriors by Benjamin Wallace is a humorous take on the end of the world as we know it.

At first, I was a bit put off by the crass humor and the ridiculous situations. The two Post Apocalyptic Nomadic Warriors, Logan and Jerry, are working against each other, going from walled town to walled town, offering their services of protection.

The towns, all a variation of 'New Hope', either accept the P.A.N.W.s offer or not. The officials of the latest New Hope act like three-year-old children, squabbling in a pre-school playground. This adds to the humor but at this point, it's still unclear where this story is headed.

I have to admit that I almost put this book away in favor of something else. But... then the SANd showed up (Super Smart Bears). Oh, yeah! I had to find out where this was heading. You see, this land was the victim of a terror attack consisting of nuclear and chemical warfare, causing several varieties of mutants to wander through the wasteland; Super Smart Bears being one of them.

Suddenly, this tale started to grab my attention and kept me reading through to the end. I'm very glad that I hung in there and finished this book. Truly, it's not Hemmingway or Steinbeck but rather along the lines of Douglass Adams (as others have mentioned). The humor is wry and well placed. You have to be aware of the cultural references here and there are quite a few,so watch out!

I doubt if I'll buy the sequels but this is a nice stand-alone story leading to a nice ending, so don't worry about the sequels that are peddled. It's not necessary to buy them if you don't want to.

In the end, I enjoyed this story as much for the crazy plot as for the humor. It's a fun read, you should give it a try.
17 people found this helpful