Industrial Deals Best Books of the Year So Far Our favorite denim: shop women's jeans nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc AWOLNATION Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo All-new Show Mode Charging Dock Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on December 26, 2015
Hands down, the best timing belt/water pump kit you can buy for your Toyota/Lexus V8 engine.

I have a 2006 4Runner with the 2UZ-FE engine and it's getting ready to roll over 200,000 miles. At 100K miles, I took it to the dealer (I know, don't shoot me) and they charged me a tidy $1,400 to change the timing belt and water pump. For 170 bucks and a day's worth of my (or your) time, this kit will save a lot of money.

I'm one of those guys that like to use Toyota OEM parts, but not pay Toyota dealer prices. I checked quite a few online stores that sold Toyota OEM parts, and purchased separately, the best price I could get for everything included in this kit was about $400. This is a great--I mean fantastic--price for everything that you need to perform this service.

Both bearings are Koyo branded (the same used by Toyota), the water pump is Aisin (same used by Toyota), the hydraulic tensioner is NTN (same used by Toyota) and the timing belt is Mitsuboshi....you guessed it, same as used by Toyota. Everything you see in the picture is included EXCEPT for the square gasket that fits to the top of the water pump. Honestly, I didn't even know this gasket existed since the Toyota manual calls for using FIPG (Form In Place Gasket) for this seal. FIPG is essentially the squeeze type gasket stuff out of a tube. You can get it on Amazon Genuine Toyota Fluid 00295-00103 Formed-in-Place Oil Pan Gasket - 3 oz. Tube

This kit even includes a very nice booklet with directions on how to perform the timing belt replacement. But, I'm guessing if you're buying this kit, you're either giving it to your local mechanic or you're doing it yourself and you've already spent lots of time on the web researching how to do it. Or you're a cracker jack mechanic and you can do it with your eyes closed, with one arm tied behind your back.

I haven't used my kit yet, but I know a lot of people looking at this are very curious to know what exactly is included in the kit so I wanted to make sure I at least let everyone know what was in mine. I've included pictures as well for your viewing pleasure.

When I do perform this service, I'll post a follow up review and let you know how things go.
103 people found this helpful