on October 20, 2017
When I first started reading this book, I thought that it would be an inspiring story about a girl who overcame child abuse. And, it is. But, this story has a lot more to it. I’ve never read anything like it. The tragedy takes place in a hollow, so far way out in the country that it could be a third-world country, but it felt so real that you live there as you read. The first part made me cry. Something else was happening too because even in the first part of the story there were punch lines that made me smile, occasionally laugh out loud, and it made me think a lot about life in general. It felt weird to have such mixed emotions all at the same time – sadness, concern, relief, amused, and thoughtful. Then the story got very wild. There’s an android. It also has a sarcastic ghost. And, a couple of guys who smoke pot and talk exactly like you think they would, with a little bit of cursing but not too much. To save the world, part of the deal in order for Lacy to get help from the android to fix her totally messed up parents, she takes them all to another planet. I try to keep up with politics in real life, but it still took a minute to sink in that a lot of things happening on this planet were parody about issues that everybody is arguing about on Facebook: immigration, sexual harassment, complicated tax codes and what taxes should be spent on. It wasn’t preachy at all, not like you might think a book that includes these topics would be -- less preachy than Saturday Night Live. The story didn’t try to give you solutions or pick sides on the issues. It was so hilarious that I almost forgot about Lacy being a victim of child abuse, but then the story pulls it all together in the end, leaving me with a lot to think about in the future, especially about how politics affect kids facing horrible situations. Everybody should read this book, not just science fiction fans because it’s more than that. I only bought it because I saw on Facebook how some of the money would go to help kids in trouble. Now, I’m very glad that I read it because it’s a great book that I’ll not soon forget.
7 people found this helpful