Reviewed in the United States on March 16, 2015
For some reason I didn’t think I was going to like this book, and, honestly, I wasn’t even planning on reading it—I think it came out around the time I was totally fed up with books featuring girls in gorgeous dresses on the cover, that ended up being not so enjoyable readings—but then there was a read-along and I didn’t resist, and guess what? I liked it a lot! I love when books surprise me like this.
The main reason I enjoyed this book so much was the heroine, Gwen, she’s such a sweetheart, cute, funny, smart, and I love how she questions everything about this crazy, and quite dangerous, world of time travel, even when the people with the answers are not that welcoming and think she’s just a silly girl who knows nothing, but she always puts her foot down and refuses to be ignored or mistreated. I love her.

The not so positive thing about Ruby Red is that it only gives you the basics of the world and the story, leaves a bunch of questions unanswered, and then ends literally in the middle of a scene—a kind of important scene—and I got the impression that maybe, originally, the book was way longer but someone decided to split it in half and tadah, the second half of Ruby Red became Sapphire Blue. But I don’t know. I’m not exactly mad about this, I already have the other two books on the way to meet my eager little hands, but yeah, that was a really weird way to end a book, even if it’s the first in a trilogy.

I also watched the movie, Rubinrot, right after I finished the book, and oh my goodness, it’s so much fun and romantic. I highly recommend it.
(Oh, and there’s no love triangle, yay!)
One person found this helpful
0Comment Report abuse Permalink