Speed is greatly reduced through this extender
TL;DR; I chose to return it because of how much it reduced the speed
By Russell C. on December 17, 2015
This is a review of the NETGEAR AC750 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender.
I chose to buy this extender to expand my WiFi coverage in my 2400 square foot, two story home. The current router I own it upstairs, and doesn't reach out into the garage on the opposite side of the house with great coverage.
After using the item for a few days, I am choosing to return it for the following reasons:
1. As you can see in the screenshots I provided, the wifi speed is greatly reduced when connecting through the extender. The top image is the speed while wirelessly connecting on my laptop, while the bottom speed I connected the extender to an outlet in the same location and used my laptop right next to it and it was dramatically slower (around 20% of the speed).
2. I also attached an image of the unit itself, it is quite an eyesore... I don't have a good area to plug it in where it won't be seen, and I'm certain it will not pass the wife's aesthetic test.
3. The WiFi networks it creates have a different SSID than the one it is extending... I think you can login to the device and configure this but as a default that is rather annoying... since it isn't really "extending" the network, it's creating a new one. In my previous experience the extenders always kept the same network name so it was a seamless transition between the two "networks".
My pros for this item, and the reasons I bought it:
1. It was fairly easy to setup on the network, but that could be just because I happen to be using a NETGEAR router already, and the WPS feature works out of the box with the two devices. I can't speak for the setup process other than that.
2. The range seems good
3. It supports both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.
Overall, if the speed is not an issue for you, and you merely want to extend your network but *prefer* to have a 5Ghz signal, this should work fine for you. Otherwise, there are many other options for a better price that will work. For example, I've used this one and had great luck: [[ASIN:B00E98O7GC TP-LINK N300 Wi-Fi Range Extender (TL-WA850RE)]]