Reviewed in the United States on January 26, 2014
I had high expectations of this book, especially since it got so many five-star reviews. Unfortunately he writing is, for the most part, stilted and pedantic--and therefore annoying. I had to stop reading around page 50. Sitting here typing this review, I opened a page at random and picked a sentence at random:

"Many young people are clear that they don't want to lie a life constrained by too many obligations, but deciding which obligations matter the most can leave them indecisive and ambivalent."

As a long-time writer/editor of science books and articles, I appreciate the need for polysyllabic words of Latin origin. But most good writers follow the adage, "Never use a long word when a short one will do." If I'd edited this book by Olds and Schwartz, the above sentence would read something like:

"Many young people don't want to weigh their lives down with too many obligations, but they have trouble deciding which are important--leaving them unsure about their decisions."

Because I was so distracted by the book's pretentious language and had to stop reading, I'm sure I missed many of the authors' important insights.
13 people found this helpful