Reviewed in the United States on February 14, 2020
As a kid, I aspired to be an animator of cartoony characters, but over the years I found myself stuck in a rut of realist or semi-realist drawing. For work, I occasionally have to come up with stylized characters, and I've been looking for resources to help me push beyond that realist paradigm and explore the world of style and exaggeration. This book was the next stop along that road, and it's been awesome. The first few chapters are a crash course in shape language, contrast, and exaggeration, and the rest is a nice "watch their process" walk through by some skilled character artists.

Unlike some other stylization reference books, you're not shown how to mimic a visual style, or given a buffet of stylistic choices like "here's cartoony nose #1" and "here's cartoony nose #2" to mix-and-match some Frankenstein of a character that you didn't imagine yourself. You're shown how to take the style you already know and own, and push it farther to get more expression, more appeal, more readability, etc. Highly recommended.
One person found this helpful
0Comment Report abuse Permalink