on May 2, 2017
I have to admit I'm not part of the prime demographic for this novel. But while I'm not a fan of Sookie and Anita and the other urban fantasy heroines, I still can appreciate a well-written story. The story synopsis had a "Neil Gaimian" quality to it that intrigued me, so I took a chance. This one definitely fits the bill. The main character, Katie, is engaging and intelligent, gaining enough of my sympathy to want to see her succeed against overwhelming odds. Reid's world-building is top-notch, following fairly closely to the things that have gone before her in the genre, while still throwing in her own personal touches to spin it out of the hands of the stereotype and the expected. Her supporting characters are delightful and exotic, each with the weight of a fully-formed history that helps them avoid the pitfalls to becoming two-dimensional. The pace is fast and smooth, like a classic limousine.
0Comment Report abuse Permalink