Reviewed in the United States on March 8, 2020
As a Jewish refugee who came from Ukraine to US thirty years ago, I can easily identify with the characters in this book. If I had been born some forty years earlier, I could’ve been among them so I read this book in one breath. I kept asking myself what would I do in this situation? Would I have courage to escape from ghetto hiding my daughter under my coat? Would I have courage to come with a plan to save both of us at the last moment when we stood by the grave we were forced by Ukrainian to dig for ourselves? Would I have courage to survive in labor camp and even give a birth to my son? Would I have courage to survive a torture in the prison? Those who have never faced antisemitism probably shouldn’t read this book. Some people find it educational but some found it rather boring and depressing. You know what- a Jewish history is depressing and if this irritates you, there is plenty of entertainment reading. I am glad that this book drew so much attention and got a good rating. Unfortunately, this topic is not very popular these days. Thank you, Georgia Hunter for your tremendous work!
0Comment Report abuse Permalink