April 15, 2015
I am amazed and thrilled at having stumbled upon Ms. Collins' work! A Brief Stay at Earth Human Camp is truly a masterful work. I am one of those grown ups who read all the Harry Potter books and still uses her kids as an excuse to go to a Disney movie. I love young adult as a genre but have found lately that the skill is lacking in so many authors to actually weave a tale. Not so for Marie Collins. This is a lovely tale of Atticus and Anne, learning who they really are, attending camp for the first time and meeting other children, also for the first time. We follow the adventure and mystery while sharing in the joys of budding friendships, the thrill of summer games and all that camp has to offer.
I don't give spoilers, but will say that this expertly woven story captured me and and kept me involved, kept me there in the pages, at camp, listening to ghost stories, hiking through Jersey woods and befriending all the children and counselors as the weeks of summer went by too quickly.
I am certain this book and following series will go far. The structure and writing are far beyond the bulk of what is on the shelves today.
Well done Marie Collins, I eagerly await the next book to find out more of the Farbookonian adventures!
3 people found this helpful