The manufacturer commented on the review belowReviewed in the United States on February 17, 2019
I originally gave it 4 stars; see why I changed that below.

The product is a great NAS. It is simple to use, and has RAID1 option (so all the data is duplicated over 2 HDDs), which is why I bought this one (I had a previous version with only 1 disk, and that disk failed; it was a pain to recover the data!). This newer version allows you to keep apps in the unit (like antivirus and some other things), which is really nice.

My only worry is that the unit I got (which came directly from Amazon!) was a used unit. How do I know that? Because it came with a password, and when I took the password off (resetting it manually), I found out that users were assigned and there was data (movies and music) recorded to the drive. Now, the drive is working fine, but I paid for a new unit and did not receive one. The only reason I did not return it is that I brought it to my house in Central America, and returning it from here will cost me money, but this is not right!

Had it not been for that, I would have rated it 5 stars (not anymore; read on!)

UPDATE: Well it has been less than 2 months now, and believe it or not, the unit is acting up. I am not sure if it is the HDDs or the software or what, but even accessing it through the IP address it is SUPER slow!! I bet it has to do with the fact that I got a used unit!!! What sucks even more is that because I brought it with me abroad, now I have to pay international shipping costs to send it back!!! INCREDIBLE!

UPDATE 2: The unit is super simple to set up, and the Plex media server is a thing of beauty (when the unit actually works). However, about 3 times per week, the unit decides to disconnect itself from the network. It simply disappears. And no, it is not a window thing, as my TV's cannot see it as a server either... From what I have read, this is a common problem (one I did NOT have with my previous WD MyCloud unit!), and I have yet to find a cause (it is not sleep mode or IP changes). Just wish WD would solve the problem with their firmware updates, but, alas, no fix yet! Do not waste your money. The whole point of having a NAS is to be able to access it!
15 people found this helpful