Reviewed in the United States on February 16, 2017
I like the cover and the name of the book and also the title character. The character is certainly memorable—a chain-smoking Russian woman, alleged to be related to Stalin, whose favorite word seems to be “fooked.” She apparently has a problem with squirrels in her attic—at this point, I’m not sure whether that’s a metaphor or not. So, she buys a chainsaw—hence the name and trims all her trees so that there are no branches. Come to find out that Jane reads tarot Card and helps the police find the missing. They bring a missing woman case, and Jane foretells its whereabouts. The author starts losing me when she insists on interjecting her political views about hunting and the Second Amendment into the narrative in language so colorful Amazon prohibits me republishing it. But, it’s quite a visual imagery that the author creates—talk about painting a word picture. Our second Amendment rights are hard to understand for some, but I digress. Hopefully, I’ve edited out all the offending words including guns. My advice to the author and any other anti-guns zealot out there: Don't like guns? Don't buy one. Don't like the Second Amendment? Move to France. It looks like she took my advice on the latter. I’d be happy to debate the reasoning for the 2nd amendment with anyone, especially the author, any day of the week. Spoiler alert, it’s not about hunting, but that is one acceptable outlet for it. The trouble with writing about political views in a narrative is that you risk alienating some of your potential audience. If you're fine with that, have at it. There are a few minor grammatical issues, but it’s not bad enough to be distracting. The characters in the book are quirky, and it occurred to me that it’s fine to have quirky characters if there is a point to them and if their quirks aren’t off-putting, i.e. a woman who has a pet rat as a companion—yeah, she would not be riding in my car.

It’s an easy read, but there is not enough about the book to make it a truly interesting read for me. Admittedly, I’m an old duffer and set in my ways, and it may well appeal to a younger and more feminine audience. I give the book a healthy three stars. Give it a try, you might like it.
0Comment Report abuse Permalink