June 26, 2018
I purchased this primarily for making chicken wings. I like to fry wings without any batter - Keto style, and found that my other fryer could only handle a small amount of wings at a time. When my family is over and I want to make a larger amount of wings, this works nicely.

A consideration however, and this is a drawback for me, is that it takes a very long time to heat up the oil if you are using it at the top level. This was an issue for me because I fry the wings first at a lower temp, and then crank it to high and do a second fry for 5-6 minutes. It was taking way too long for the oil to heat up between the two steps. So I now par-bake the wings in the oven for the first step, and then simply fry them at the highest temp for 5-6 minutes. Perfect crispy wings with no breading. (I generously season the wings right after removing them from the fryer.) Additionally, emptying a large amount of oil is a fair amount of work. It does however, clean up quite easily with soapy water as the non-stick finish allows the oil and crustiness to be easily removed.

In the cooler months I find that I can empty it out after 2-3 uses over the course of weeks, but I do empty it and clean it out when warm/hot weather is in the forecast. I purchase a 3 gallon box of peanut oil at Walmart and that gives the wings a nice flavor.

I keep this fryer on a wheeled cart in my garage, cover it with a generic small grill cover I purchased at Lowes, and start it up on the patio when we want wings for appetizers. I haven't yet made a turkey but I do plan on frying a spatchcock chicken or two - I think it would do a great job on that.

If you're using this fryer primarily for chicken parts or wings, know that it might be a bit of overkill if you're only frying up 10-12 wings at a time, but if you're feeding a group, this works well and can handle double the amount of a normal fryer.
14 people found this helpful