Reviewed in the United States on January 5, 2012
I'm really enjoying this series! I was a bit skeptical when I picked up Blood Oath since the concept of a vampire working for the president seemed just too far-fetched to pull off well but I'm so glad that I gave it a chance. Blood Oath was a solid read that completely drew me in from start to finish. This first book in the series is very much about Nathaniel Cade and the story of how he assists the government, and president more specifically, in this brutal, nightmarish mess where the paranormal and the political intersect. Despite being the first book in the series and needing to convey a lot of setup material and explanations the plot moves at a good clip. Character development is also strong and I enjoy that at the end of the book I still feel like there's much to learn about our main characters. I've also read the second book in the series, The President's Vampire, and the series reminds me a bit of the Joe Ledger series by Jonathan Maberry in that both manage to successfully weave the motivations and end goals of some very twisted people into the context of our current War on Terror and the political landscape without being too heavy-handed with any of the elements. In both series my adrenaline gets pumping but I'm also still engaging my brain to work through the details of what's going on and where the action will lead. The first two books have been a fun ride and I'm eagerly looking forward to the next one this year.
One person found this helpful
0Comment Report abuse Permalink