July 12, 2016
Fantastic as always, but not "clean" for kids (words listed but edited to be in compliance with Amazon's review policy)

Hamilton is an absolute masterpiece--educational, singable, rousing, inspiring. I won't go on and on about it because I assume that anyone looking to buy has heard clips of it before, but needless to say--it's absolutely worth it. I was excited to see a "clean" version coming out because my four-year-old loves to sing along with me, and it was becoming a bit of a pain to sing loudly over swear words and the part about having s** with horses.

The soundtrack comes in a double-cd case with one booklet for each cd (act). The case itself is a little flimsy and has already popped apart several times, but does pop back together. The booklets detail the cast and crew, full lyrics for each song, and inspirational elements, which were very interesting. Some were more obvious (Ten Duel Commandments taking inspiration from Ten Crack Commandments), but some were more subtle (Cabinet Battle 1 containing elements of The Message), and it was great to be able to sit down and listen and think about what Lin-Manuel Miranda was thinking when he composed his songs.

I removed a star because the album is not "clean" as advertised. I expect a clean album to contain the original material, but remove, at the least, swear words (the d, s, and f words). At the most, suggestive elements might be removed ("lock up your daughters and horses, of course it's hard to have intercourse over four sets of corsets"). I didn't expect this cd to necessarily go one way or another, but I was irritated to realize that it didn't bleep out a lot of the swearing. I would've expected the D word to be edited out.

I think the easiest way to make your decision is to know exactly what's left in. Now, I don't mind all of these words, I just would've liked avoiding screaming some of them out the car window with my kid--but I've included any word I think anyone MIGHT possibly object to, even if I don't, just so people know whether they need to avoid this or whether it doesn't bother them at all.

Here goes: bas****, wh***, d*** God (as an exclamation), "Come again", "Lock up your daughters and horses," interc***se, G and d, p*ss, h*ll (as a place), h*ll (as an exclamation), *ss, a cut-off f, wh*reson, Jes** Chr*** (as an exclamation), and pr*ck.

Bleeped out: s***, f***, mother****

Edited 7/23 to add words.
400 people found this helpful