Salon Beauty Summer Reading Women's Block Sandals nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Carters PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Introducing Fire TV Cube Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon theaffairS4 theaffairS4 theaffairS4  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on May 9, 2016
(A disclosure up front: My own work in the field of ufology is discussed by the author at length in this book.)

The Greys Have Been Framed brings us an author, Jack Brewer, whose integrity glows quietly throughout these pages. He’s not someone generally given to credulous acceptance of the myriad conspiracy theories that gather, brood, and multiply in the strangely unique American subculture of people fascinated by all things ufological. Yet Brewer has taken this opportunity to delve into some of the more fascinating and enigmatic cases. He has documented and written intelligently about aspects of the UFO world that I had scant concrete knowledge of, mainly the U.S. intelligence community’s apparent decades old involvement with the UFO phenomenon. He explores how spooks just may have been behind the scenes all along -- shaping the very phenomenon that so many people believe to be real, tangible, and most likely extraterrestrial.

Because the cases Brewer researched and presents here were often strange and new to me, the book offered more of a challenge than the usual UFO-related publication. Over the years, I’d heard rumors of government interest in what UFO researchers were up to. But I had no idea what was true and what wasn’t. Brewer has done the hard work of tracking such stories to their lairs, at least as far as he was able to.

After reading The Greys Have Been Framed, I’m now more alarmed – and ticked off – than ignorance had permitted me to be. I wish I could say ‘Thanks, Brewer,’ but he’s opened my eyes to some new dark holes in the fabric of my government. Perhaps the author might have taken pity on his fellow Americans during this extended Monty Python sketch of an electoral process. We can only endure so much before we pop, like the cosmetically over-stretched, impossibly youthful corpse of Jonathan Pryce’s mother in Brazil.

But even as Brewer’s findings disturbed me, I found myself enjoying the way the author regularly leavened his prose throughout with a dry wit and a number of offbeat analogies, such as this one: ….”The apparent circumstances of Mr. DePaula provide yet another easily identifiable example of ufology and the intelligence community sharing a cab ride. It is unfortunately much more difficult to identify their desired destinations.” In explaining how he came to abandon the phenomenon itself and instead turn his attention to studying the charlatans and faux researchers of the field, Brewer finds solace and a wry humor in the situation: “[I thought that] identifying what to weed out…would potentially make the flowers stand out a bit more.”

So we find that Brewer’s garden, for all his pessimism about the condition of the ufological field, still contains flowers, after all. Or even the hope of flowers.

Thanks, Brewer.