May 11, 2018
Like pretty much everyone else in the world I'd heard of WINNIE-THE-POOH. I'd even seen a lot of the TV shows and movies (a friend of mine actually wrote some of the TV shows for Disney). But it wasn't until I watched GOODBYE CHRISTOPHER ROBIN that I became interested in reading the books. I am so very glad I did.

I've only read the first one so far, and, as expected, it is a wonderful children's story; but what I didn't realize was how uniquely well-written it is. Admittedly the opening caught me off-guard and I had to re-read it twice to understand the point-of-view, but once I realized what Mr. Milne was doing, I loved it.

Yes, the storytelling is simplistic. Mr. Milne is obviously writing for a very young audience. This makes his style entirely appropriate, plus his ability to tell his story from the standpoint of a child is amazing. But it is his characters that make WINNIE work most of all. They are brilliantly childlike and likable.

Kudos, Mr. Milne. WINNIE-THE-POOH is a wonderful accomplishment, and deserves all of its accolades. I have no doubt it will still be around in another hundred years.
24 people found this helpful