Reviewed in the United States on January 26, 2020
I think this book is going to be the most useful for new authors deciding if they want to self-publish. It provides a good overview of how to do it, what’s involved, and some specifics on different methods and platforms. It covers ebooks, print books, and audiobooks with advice for both fiction and non-fiction. A lot of the information here can already be easily found online, but this is a good option for people that want everything in one easy-to-reference source. Personally, I didn’t gain much new knowledge from this as I’ve already done research on self-publishing. This is definitely better for authors just starting to look into the topic. I did like that the book presents traditional publishing as an equally good option, just with different pros and cons – I’ve seen too many self-publishing resources claim it’s the only way to go and disparage traditional publishing. However, there are a lot of links to other content by the author, mostly tutorials and articles on her website. There are also affiliate links to purchase items she mentions. This could be useful for people that like her style and want more from her, but it just feels out of place to me – I would prefer maybe one mention of her site, rather than links in every section to a related webpage.
2 people found this helpful