Reviewed in the United States on April 8, 2019
If I was reviewing this book for plot and characters alone, it would be getting 3.5 to 4 stars. It’s a good Ward novel, and better than The Beast, The Chosen or The Thief. Which is refreshing as Ward’s books of late have been a lot of misfires for me as a reader. It was more about John Matthew, who has always been a pivotal character. The romance was disappointing as it took a lot of the book for Murhder and Sarah to meet. Murhder despite being insane appeared to be pretty sane for most of the book. Plus according to The Thief, when he found his mate Sarah he should have been cured and lived for her, but that wasn’t what ‘cured’ him. Confusing?
Now to why this finished and published book that I paid $13.99 only gets ONE STAR. I can accept if a book has one or even two errors, as I guess Random House doesn’t employ anyone to read and edit a book. This book unfortunately had so many sentences without the correct words in place, that I am stupefied that this is the finished product. I can’t believe the editors didn’t catch that words were missing from sentences. Making the sentence unintelligible. It even had characters names misspelled. I am stunned. Ward’s editors should have caught these errors. The author relies on the editorial staff of her publisher. Random House is making big money off Ms. Ward and for them to put out this book as a finished product is totally unbelievable. It is a shame that an author as big as JR Ward has to be represented by an ill edited book. I have dyslexia and I am extremely aware of word placement when I read. It’s from years of private tutors, so when a word is missing it’s like a roadblock to my reading experience. My dyslexia is why I hired great editors for my thesis. I expect JR Ward’s publisher to have great editors, this sadly is not the case.

P.S. The print copy has errors also, I confirmed this with a hardcover owner.
70 people found this helpful