Reviewed in the United States on April 6, 2016
I bought this 512 SSD on 12/30/2015 from Amazon, and replaced the old fashion Toshiba hard disk in my Dell XPS 8300 desktop on 01/09/2016. The SSD worked VERY well for 2 months and I loved the speed! However, in the last week of March, the computer screen turned blank suddenly for 2 times after the computer was on for a couple of hours. The computer then tried to reboot automatically, but frozen. I was able to restart it only at a few hours later, not immediately. Finally, when I turned on my computer the next day and found the message: “No boot device available. Strike the F1 key to retry boot, F2 to run the setup utility”. I did that, but the SSD was not recognized in the HDD category any more. Since it is not recognized in the I/O, I cannot even try to reformat it. I reinstalled my old fashion Toshiba hard disk back and it worked fine without any problem so far. Previously I have installed PNY SSDs and a SanDisk SSD on my three other computers. All those SSDs worked fine so far. I am not inexperienced. Unlike the regular hard disk, the Transcend SSD failed without any warning messages. I contacted Transcend Support, their engineers have reviewed my case and determined the SSD most likely failed due to electric damage such as a sudden power outage. However, FYI, I did use name-branded large computer-specific surge protector. By the way, I only used this SSD for 2 months. My original old fashioned hard disk is still working. So luckily, I did not lost much data.

Since the SSD can no longer be recognized by I/O, I did not have the chance to erase the info on the SSD. This Dell is my main computer. There are quite a bit personal information on it, which makes me reluctant to send it back without "hammer" it. They kindly emailed me a non-disclosure agreement, but it is hard for me to understand the legal terms. Right now, I am debating whether to take the risk to mail it back to them for exchange, or just forget it. In other words, does it really worth the risk of losing personal information for the price of $110.99 which I paid for this Transcend SSD?
6 people found this helpful