Industrial Deals Prime Book Box Our favorite denim: shop women's jeans nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc AWOLNATION Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo All-new Show Mode Charging Dock Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on June 11, 2012
When we decided to replace our 2 garbage can system with a dual compartment single can, I spent days researching. After seeing all of the sizes and reviews, I went into a store to see a couple of them in person in order to visualize them better. And each one only confirmed my fears--they were all tiny. No matter what, they would have never worked for us. I resumed my search on Amazon again, and through a google search for something along the lines of largest dual compartment indoor trash can/recycler, I ran across this one again. I had looked at it before, but honestly I was discouraged from buying it because I was not a big fan of the big triangle stickers on the front of the can and at the time, I didn't realize they were just that--stickers. But after realizing that this was the only can I could find in this size, I decided to give it a chance. As I was perusing the Amazon reviews, I realized the triangles were stickers and that they were easily moved from the front of the can to the lid. I thought perfect and decided to take my chances and order it. Amazon was as reliable as ever and I have to say, it was perfect. The size is actually perfect and much larger than most that I looked at (some of which would barely fit an empty gallon of milk). We can usually take it out about once a week (which was exactly what I wanted). Also, I give points to Nine Stars for their design. It really locks in the odor. We had tossed a blackened banana in there to get it off the counter and I forgot about it until I opened the can a day later and smelled it. But as soon as it closes, it locks the odor back in. I left it there until my husband came home from work just to show him (I know...but he was pretty amazed at how well it worked too).

To give you a reference point for sizing, I have the 13 gallon trash bags and larger recycling bags (when we buy more, I'm going to get a similar size in recycling bags because right now it feels a little wasteful to use such a large bag to me). They fit fairly well--the trash can is deeper than it is wide so usually the bag doesn't seem to go all the way down, but it's a comfortable size when you go to take it out. Usually there's just enough extra space when everything shifts that I can toss a small grocery sized bag of trash from the bedroom or bathroom in on the way out the door. One of the reviews I read said that the bags were a little tricky to put in. They were the first time or two--I had to really focus on what I was doing, but it was an easy thing to get the hang of and now it's a pretty quick and easy job. You basically just fold the edge of the bag over these rings so they don't show and pop it in. It's not a big deal at all. Usually I follow the recommendation of another reviewer and take both out the same time, but I just tried to only take one out the other day and that works too. There are 2 separate rings so it can definitely be done fairly easily.

Thus far, the motion sensor works great. If you need the lid to stay open for an extended period of time, all you need to do is push the open button instead of waving your hand over it. There is also a switch in the back to turn this off for changing the bags. It was the perfect purchase and I would highly recommend this product to others who are looking for a family size can where they can separate trash and recycling. As an added bonus, I noticed that I'm much more likely to consider whether all or part of what I'm throwing out can be recycled since they are both going to the same place so it might be a good way to help kids (or adults) really think about this difference. We already have some friends in our building who are looking at getting one too.
728 people found this helpful