Reviewed in the United States on September 9, 2016
I prefer my books to be realistic.
One of the reviews of this book is from the former president of the American Psychiatric Association. He says,"Boldizar has opened a door into the parallel universe of myth. Out of it has stepped a modern day Beowulf. The author moves from the surreal to the real without ever losing his way."
I kind of feel like he should have given the author therapy along with the review. The last line about moving between the real and the surreal is accurate, but I prefer my books to stay more firmly grounded in the real world. It's not the sort of book I would normally read. I got The Ugly free on NetGalley in exchange for an honest review-and if I judge it against what I expect in a book, I'd rate it lower. But it's also really funny, I was laughing out loud and finished it very quickly while at the same time thinking the book was crazy. Funny enough for five stars if it had just stayed more realistic instead of wandering into satire. The combination makes it tough to figure out how to rate this, so I'm giving it a middle of the road three stars.
7 people found this helpful