Reviewed in the United States on April 27, 2019
My family has endured angry outbursts, grumpy attitude, and me cursing at this thing trying to get it to work. In addition they were deprived of one of the most valuable human needs: WiFi. Read on if you want to read a story of hope, heartache, and restoration. tl;dr this Netgear modem sucks.

I bought this one because my Xfinity Double Play (150 Mbps internet + Cable) package expired and was charging me $60 more in fees. Calling Xfinity, they were able to lower my bill. Double Play and Triple Play happened to be the same price with current promotions. Thinking I was getting a good deal I signed up for the Triple Play not knowing that I would need a new modem (shame on me), as I was on an older DOCSIS 3.0 modem w/o voice support, and Xfinity was unable to finalize my order until I installed a modem that could handle voice.

I was NOT going to pay the $13/month to rent their modem, so I decided to jump online and grab this one. I was ecstatic that it was arriving the next day! That was the only good thing about this whole story. I set it up and had the WORST time trying to get it to activate. The connection from the Ethernet port to the laptop was laughably slow. I had to refresh 10 times and wait for the next page to load through the activation process, hoping it wouldn't timeout and lose my progress. It finally went through and was able to activate the new modem. This should have been a huge red flag, but I tend to slog through problems and apparently am a glutton for punishment. Read on.

Fool me once: The issue is that the internet was a tease. It would come online for a few minutes and then disconnect for 5+ minutes. You never really knew when it would come back online or for how long. Then it would come back online, then go off again. I called Comcast but they were only able to send a reset signal to the modem once in every 2 calls. It was an awful experience, especially for someone who has to work from home a couple days a week.

Fool me twice: I finally identified that the major change that caused the issue was the modem, so I decided to replace the original one for a new one. Amazon is awesome and sent one within 2 days. I was eager to get the one "fluke" modem out of here and install the new one. After another call with Comcast, they were able to activate the new one. It seemed to be working great with amazing speeds... until it didn't. Internet started going wonky and once again I was being subjected to the schizophrenic connection.

After wasting valuable time trying to get this thing to work, I finally called Comcast and asked them to move me back to Double Play and re-activated my old modem, the trusty Surfboard, and haven't had an internet connection issue since.

During this whole ordeal I was on the phone with Comcast at least 10 times, for a total of 3.5 hours, not including the couple hours trying to troubleshoot, power cycle, etc.

Now that I think of it, I recall in the past having Netgear modems before my Surfboard and had to RMA them every 6-12 months because they would crap out. After a power cycle they'd work for a bit, then go back to spotty internet. Seems like they never fixed those issues even after all these years. If you've made it this far, you must also be a glutton for punishment. Please don't punish yourself by buying this modem. Learn from my experience and pass on this one.
69 people found this helpful