Reviewed in the United States on August 14, 2020
I purchased the My Cloud Home drive on Amazon. After receiving and installing it, I performed multiple backups of my MacBook using Time Machine. This worked fine.

However, the drive failed about a week later and would not turn on. I called Western Digital (WD) technical support. After some diagnosis the agent said WD would replace the drive under warranty. The problem was I did not want to return the drive, as it now has confidential personal and business/client information stored on it (I am self-employed). After putting me on hold the agent said I would need to respond to an email he would send and provide an explanation why I could not return the faulty drive.

I did not receive the email and called WD back the next day. This agent also said I need to provide an explanation, and did send the email. I replied to the email as requested.

After no word from WD for 3 days I called them again. This time I was told I need to provide the explanation on my company letterhead. So, again submitted the response on letterhead.

Again, no word from WD after 3 days and called back again. This time I am told I need to also submit a photo of the drive and a proof of purchase. I asked why they did not request this the first time and why WD never emailed or got back to me requesting the information, instead waiting for me to contact them. Agent had no response, only apologized.

I contacted Amazon and explained the situation and Amazon agent said I would receive a full refund, without need to return the drive. I also received a follow up email from Amazon confirming this resolution.

It is now 15 days since I sent the information to WD that was requested. Still no word from them. The moral of the story is, I will not purchase another Western Digital product. On the other hand, Amazon customer service was great.
Customer image
1.0 out of 5 stars Drive failed within 2 weeks and Western Digital technical support kept giving me a runaround
By John on August 14, 2020