Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Kids Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Weekly One STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on May 23, 2017
My first impression of The Hidden Truth was how much it reminded me of Heinlein's Have Space Suit Will Travel. The protagonist is a kid coming to age through a process of solving technical problems. (As a Heinlein fan I consider this high praise.) I was also reminded of Jerry Pournelle and Larry Niven's Co-dominium stories wherein technology is "managed" to maintain the status quo. (As a Pournelle and Niven fan...)

My second impression was a little troublesome. I am old enough to have lived through some history that I now see reflected, funhouse mirror style, in the mainstream media. What a younger me recognized as distortion and propaganda during the Cold War is now the grist of history documentaries--and no less distorted by the passage of time. Thus the central thesis of the book eerily mirrors my own recollection of days past.

I was particularly pleased to see Easter eggs placed throughout the text that made me think that the author reads all the right blogs. I laughed aloud when the protagonist loses a high school debate when his female opponent catches him unawares with a spirited denial of women's suffrage!

If you believe the state should shepherd you through life from cradle to grave. You'll hate this book. If you think that deplorable people ought not rule themselves, read something else. Conversely, if you think along more Jeffersonian lines, you'll find this book a refreshing tonic. I certainly did.
3 helpful votes