Industrial Deals HPC Design the future with O'Reilly Media Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM $34.99 for a limited time only Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on June 9, 2015
After some research I decided on this Pentair SuperFlo pool pump after my 14 year old Jacuzzi Magnum pump developed a small fracture in the pump housing which began to leak and was not repairable. Pentair has a good reputation for pool pumps and water related products. This Pentair SuperFlo pump was recommended to me as a very good replacement to the Jacuzzi pump. I choose this simple on/off switch pump and motor design over the higher efficiency variable speed pump and motors because pump motors are and always have been designed to run nonstop. Turning the pool pump on and off or having a variable speed motor can decrease electric motor life. I asked different pool professionals about the higher efficiency units and was steered away from them sighting decreased motor life and more to go wrong not to mention the cost more than doubling for the equipment alone. If you want better efficiency I recommend installing a timer on your pool pump but there may be a decrease in motor life. Also install the timer when the motor is new. Installing on a old motor can kill it fast with all the stops and starts. I have a pool timer but disabled it years ago because of the noticeable decrease in motor life. I allow my pool pump to run 24/7 and consider it a cost of owning a pool. I decided to install the Pentair pump myself since it didn't seem to be a very hard install. I had replaced the electric motor on my Jacuzzi pump before and figured it wouldn't be much more to install the entire pump with motor.

The Pentair includes unionized fittings with gaskets for both the input and output ends of the pump that can be simply screwed on each end of the pump once the plumbing is cemented to your existing PVC plumbing. If you have 1 1/2" PVC plumbing as I did the included unionized plumbing hardware mates right up. You may however need to purchase two extra PVC connectors and PVC piping to complete the plumbing as you will most likely cut away some existing plumbing as you uninstall the old pump and fittings. There are some really good YouTube videos that can walk you through the install, help you know what to expect and what you will need to complete the install. I recommend taking a look for there is useful information and some good tips available that may save you time, money or both.

Once installed the pump quickly pulled the water into the pump basket and evacuated all the air out of the sight glass. I did prime the pump basket with water. The pump is much quieter than my old pump and provided similar pool side pressure as my old pump. I cannot tell a difference in water pressure at the returns. The Pentair pump is the exact same horsepower rating as the Jacuzzi pump it replaced. I am very happy with this pump so far. The old pool pump was loud and could be heard around my pool and patio area but the new Pentair cannot. The Pentair pump is not silent nor is any on the market but it is a very quiet pump and motor when compared to my old pump. I also like the pump basket sight glass design which has two significant dog ears that make removing it much easier than a completely round top as my old pump sight glass. My old pump's sight glass could be difficult to remove when it had not been removed for a while. Occasionally I had to use a large flat-head screwdriver and a hammer to gently knock the sight glass lid to loosen it from the pump basket housing. The Pentair's lid design appears to allow for a simple bumping of your hands should it need it. The pump basket is smaller than my old Jacuzzi pump basket however I don't believe this will affect performance. I am very pleased with this Pentair SuperFlo pump and would buy it again. It is a very good value at it's price point, offers very good pump performance and is a quiet pump.

Pros:
- the cost of the pump is a big value costing less than half when compared to other pumps that claim better efficiency or quietness
- performance seems in line with other similarly spec'd motors with the same horsepower rating
- the pump and motor are quiet running
- reliable manufacture brand
- single speed electric motors tend to last longer over time than do variable speed motors.
- plug and play, once installed the pump is controlled by the on/off switch and doesn't have a on-board circuit board control switch that could go bad rendering a good pump and motor useless

Cons:
- This pump does draw a constant current and will not decrease in it's electrical usage. You would need a timer on your pool pump to save energy costs which could decrease the pump motor life as they are designed to run constantly not start up and shut off which can reduce electric motor life. However variable speed pump motors are also subject to the same issues related to the motor.

Here are a few helpful or important highlights of the install experience that may be useful to you. After uninstalling the old pump it is a good idea to sit the new pump in it's place to see how the plumbing will line up. You may find as I did the pump will need to be positioned up to help bring the pump back in line with your existing plumbing. There is no need to adjust your plumbing for this issue. Find a suitable height with a brick, slab, stone or other durable material underneath the pump housing and motor. I do not recommend wood or even treated wood as the pool pump area is subjected to water and sunlight. All wood rots when subjected to a constant damp area as would be if laid upon the ground a top your existing concrete pad. I first tried a few bricks I had on hand but this raised the pump too high so for less than two dollars I purchased a 6" x 12" x 1 1/2" concrete paver stone which adjusted the height of the pump housing input to be perfectly inline with my existing plumbing. Once your pump is adjusted to your existing plumbing you can then begin mocking up your plumbing. I completely assembled my plumbing without cement first to ensure everything was perfectly mated before moving on to the electrical installation which I installed first because that was easier in my installation. When it comes to the electrical installation I strongly suggest hiring a licensed electrician or pool installation professional if you don't have a good understanding of electrical wiring "do's" and "don'ts". While wiring the pump is very straight forward this pump replaces and is a 230 volt pump. An electrical shock with that much current could cause serious injury and death. Saving money is never worth the risk of your livelihood or life. Before beginning any uninstall or installation of a new pump you should always find the breaker(s) that provides current to your pool equipment and turn them off before attempting any uninstall or install the pump equipment. Incorrectly wiring the pump could result in premature pump failure or an electrical fire at the connections. You can burn a pump up in only minutes when incorrectly wired. The pump has two load posts. They are labeled "L1" and "L2". Either load wire can be connected sperately to either load post but one load wire to each load post only. It cannot be wired wrong or "backward" in regards to the load bearing wires and pump posts. You must also connect the ground wire to it's post which is green colored screw on the back of the pump. Be sure before connecting any wires to your new pump that you have reattached the soft insulation conduit with the electrical nut to your new pump for a secure connection between the soft conduit and the new pump. Once the wires are connected to your new pump motor all the wiring is hidden under a panel on the back of them motor which is which is secured by a single screw in the middle of the panel. Also you may have a bare copper wire that was connected to the exterior of your old pump and also other pool equipment. Reconnect it to the bottom side terminal of the newly installed pump. For simplicity I recommend making this connection first as the connection is on the bottom of the pump motor and for this reason I recommend with certainty all your pools electrical equipment be turned off at the breaker or main as previously stated. The copper wire should not be carrying a load but could if there was a short in any of your pool equipment and it came in contact with the copper wire during installation. This connection is called "bonding" and the bare copper wire should run into the ground to be properly installed and grounded. This is code in many localities. If you do not have the copper wire running between your pool equipment's exterior I would not be concerned with it as you are grounded via the electrical connection and your electrical circuit.
review image
33 comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?