Reviewed in the United States on August 27, 2009
I had the Bose Accoustimass multimedia speakers that I purchased 10 years ago. At the time they were the best computer speakers available with a hefty price tag to match (but back then thanks to the [...] craze I got them for half off retail). Those speakers were simple in that the bass module was also the receiver and with two cube speakers they were minimal yet sounded full size. Well those Bose speakers started to have problems after they were left on for an hour (sound started to get staticky and sound terrible).

Thus I began my search to find a good replacement. I wanted something simple with no external amplifier needed. Did my research and settled on the Audioengine A5's. The price was comparable to what I paid for the Bose system a decade ago without any coupons needed. And the sound is great!! I'm no audiophile but I know great sound when I hear it and after a day of breaking in my speakers the other night I sat down for some good listening.

I closed my eyes and listened to The Sounds "No One Sleeps When I'm Awake" that was encoded at 256kps and wow was I blown away. It was so crisp, I thought I had much larger speakers or DVD-audio. Also I got the Airport Express wireless and plugged them in (thanks to the AC outlet on the back of the left speaker) and I stream my music from my laptop. Also thanks to the dual inputs (something that was also important to me since my Bose had those) I could also have my TV plugged into the Audioengine A5's.

My only cons is that when I plugged in my iPhone with the line-out from the dock, at the lowest level it was still kind of loud and I couldn't go any lower. Also I would have liked a Bass adjustment knob and Treble adjustment knob on the unit as well (the Bose had that). Not the end of the world since you can always adjust through the software equalizer, but it would have been nice.

Overall, I'm very happy with my purchase and I hope these last a lifetime (or at least a decade).
review image