April 8, 2017
I've been an amateur woodworker for several years and somehow functioned without a router. "Pffft, amateur" you may be thinking to yourself, and you'd be right to think so.
I don't know why it took me so long to get this. I finally went for it after an endorsement from 'The Samurai Carpenter' on Youtube; he spoke highly of this compact router. Now it's my turn to speak highly of it.
The kit I got comes with an edge guide, plunge base, and the standard adjustable height base with the groove for attaching the edge guide.
Setup is super easy. The latch lock makes changing the base a breeze, and allows for a lot of options during your projects. I was switching in and out of the plunge base for a recent project I did; it takes no time at all.
The body is not bulky so it's very easy to maneuver. It basically feels like you're using a really fat pencil, which is great for more complicated routing endeavors. I was able to easily trace over some Chinese Calligraphy for a sign, just as if I was the one writing it. I used it to make a Chinese Chess/Go game board, which, (if you've never seen one or either) involves a lot of intersecting lines. Using the edge guide for the perimeter made that a whole lot easier (I used a straight edge for the innermost areas of the grid.) Then switched to the plunge base to do the dots where your pieces go. Just set the depth and drop it where you want it.
Having this router made all of that possible for this project, and I shudder to think of how cheesy it would look if I had to find other methods to accomplish that. I had been contemplating drawing it on with a sharpie after a coat of poly. That's just terrible.
The motor spins up nice and fast for clean cuts, without moving the whole thing around, so you don't end up on the wrong side of your guide line.
I'm extremely happy with this router and I know I'll be using it for many future projects. I definitely recommend it if you are considering it. I still recommend it if you're not considering it. I wish I had bought it sooner.
review imagereview imagereview image