April 10, 2017
I've already posted my review on Goodreads, but I'll post it on Amazon too.

First off, thank you Penguin-Viking for allowing me to read this beautiful ARC. I've been given this ARC for my honest feedback.

The following review is my mere opinion. I will start with the dislikes, move on to the likes, and my own personal thoughts.

What did I dislike about this novel?
Absolutely NOTHING.

What did I like about this novel?

1. The characters. Even though I know it's based on a true story, I enjoyed the characters.
2. It made me cry, laugh, and cry a ton.
3. Finding out more about what the Jewish community really went through in order to survive.
4. Well-written. Hats off to Mrs. Hunter. I'm an instant fan.
5. The careful research that went into making this a novel.
6. The patience Mrs. Hunter must have had. Not many writers want to talk about their family's history. It takes so much time to research and fact-check. Kudos to Mrs. Hunter.
7. The ending and the acknowledgement. For the first time, I feel completely satisfied and that's hard to achieve.

Now for my personal thoughts.

What are you waiting for? Go buy this book already! It will make you laugh, cry, cry some more and it will keep you on the edge of your seat. I won't give anything away. You have to be willing to have a box of tissues nearby. It also makes me thing of my ancestors. What they went through to make it this far. Would I ever write about my family's history? No. I don't have the patience. We cannot deny the painful part of our prior history. We need to learn from it and do better as each generation passes. I cried, I honestly did. It made my stomach churn and drop. But this is a book about sacrifice and love. I know as a mother, I would do anything to save my children. But this family is simply remarkable. Yeah, maybe some parts were dramatized but Mrs. Hunter took me there. I could imagine the horrors her family went through. If this book doesn't make you feel something, I don't know what else to tell you. I plan on buying this book on hardcover and it will remain a treasure for the rest of my life. What we need is a whole lot more love in this world and a lot less hate. Thank you, Mrs. Hunter. Bless you and your beautiful family. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing your story. I'm sure it was painful for her to write this. I could only imagine.
247 people found this helpful