Reviewed in the United States on March 5, 2018
Had an uncharacteristically unpleasant experience with an Amazon Gift Card over the weekend.

Bought a $300 card for delivery via text. An hour or two later it still showed "Scheduled" for delivery. Contacted customer service, was told Amazon was waiting on my bank to OK the transaction. I went to bed thinking it would be OK'd and delivered overnight. Ten hours after the purchase time, still not delivered. Called my bank, was told Amazon had never requested approval of the transaction. Called Amazon, was told it could be four more hours before it was approved.

I told Amazon to cancel the transaction, they told me it would be done immediately, and I would get a receipt confirming the cancellation.

One hour later, I get notification that the card was delivered. Apparently the transaction was not cancelled as promised. I had been in the process of purchasing a different gift when the delivery notice came in, so I was lucky it came through when it did.

The lesson here? Let the buyer beware. Amazon's promise of "five minute delivery" in my case was way off base. What's worse, their processes for approving transactions leave very much to be desired. When talking to customer service - both the original representative and his supervisor - I was only told "you just have to wait." There was nothing anyone could do to help me.

Because I purchased this card to be delivered for a party (which didn't happen), this was a completely unacceptable situation that has left a very nasty taste in my mouth regarding the use of Amazon Gift Cards. Buyer beware
460 people found this helpful