Reviewed in the United States on August 24, 2017
This book was very hard to like. I read about how controversial it was, but I didn't see what people were talking about at first. It did become a difficult read once the actual romance started, but it was one of the most well written stories I've read, which made up for the uncomfortable topic.

The more you read, the more comfortable with the topic you get, which then again makes you uncomfortable that you're accepting the premise of the story. It was a true back and forth of loving the book and wishing it was about something else.

The writing is absolutely fantastic. It's one of the most well written books I've read. When I had finished, I was glad I read it, but disappointed that I won't feel comfortable recommending it to most people. I did recommend it to one person when I was not very far in, and had to retract the recommendation once I got further in, knowing they would not like the topic.

This review is not to say you should read it. The character development is fantastic, the writing is absolutely great, and the story development and pace is perfect. But the story itself makes the book hard to recommend. Read it if you are ok with controversial stories wrapped in some fantastic writing, and avoid it if you don't think you can stomach the plot.
11 people found this helpful